Tornaghi Fusee Railway Clock c.1880's Sydney Price $2,995.00
Angelo Tornaghi arrived in Sydney in 1855 playing a highly visible role in Sydney’s scientific community. By May 1864, he was running a highly respected business importing and making scientific instruments from his shop at 312 George Street. Just two months later his instruments were praised by the Royal Society of New South Wales as being equal to those of European manufacture.
In November 1867 he completed the installation of the Morpeth Town Clock in the local court house and in 1874 the new Sydney GPO opened with three large wall clocks whose components were all made in Tornaghi’s workshop.
In 1878 he was elected as alderman for Hunters Hill and in the following year he was elected Mayor. By the time Tornaghi died in 1906, he was not only a well-respected figure in Sydney
Most Post Offices and Railway Stations ended up with Australian Cedar Tonaghi Clocks in the late 1800's.